Thursday, April 01, 2010

Workman’s Hands.

Warning; this post contains a comedy grossout lower on the page. I’ve included it mainly to give my mum the jitters, sorry mum.
I like having hardworking hands, I’ve always wanted and for many years now have the rock solid calluses and good leathery palms which work well in all conditions, but there are limits.
Mark always tells me that power tools are a good way to make the same mistakes, only quicker, which I think relates well to this post as compared to my last. Yep, think I must’ve hexed meself; after having wound myself up silly about the danger inherent in my new router table thingummy I went ahead and put the T&G into my oak with no fuss. I then spent two days hand sanding the whole lot after which it looked gorgeous. (I like hand sanding, it gives a nice finish, but after that little lot I’ll be glad to do something else.) Anyway.. I went to de boat today and managed to do this to myself whilst getting a load more timber ready to visit the workshop of peril, not with any kind of scary power tool- but with a humble (if sharp) hand saw:

Yes, I tried to saw my own thumbnail off.
With a bloody hand saw.
Like the man says, same mistakes…

PS. After a good rinse in cold water and the liberal application of sebo’s patent industrial plaster (some gaffer tape) I mopped up the blood, aimed straight and cut the wood.

PPS. Do you know what really pissed me off about this? I couldn't roll a decent cigarette for about four hours after, I mean, what's the first thing you want after the blood stops and the adrenaline wears off? Grrrr.