Tuesday, January 30, 2007

David and…



The twenty first century is just brilliant. We received a great e-mail from Jon at Griffin towage the other day. He’s the guy who bravely towed us and our wreck of a boat round from Plymouth just over 18 months (or a lifetime) ago. A full report is in the early archives of this here blog. Jon already owns three hardworking tugs, but recently couldn’t help expanding his fleet when the reasonably famous and certainly capable tug Goliath came up for sale. We should probably start calling him Commander soon. He’s very kindly sent us two pictures, one of his new and very big baby, and one of our own considerably smaller vessel. Look at that!! That’s our Wendy Ann doing her thing under Harry Rose’s livery, and the photo is evidently taken quite soon after he took her on- as she is steaming along under the name Wendy Ann 3. This is one of those long stories, which I’m not going to explain now. The two pictures together represent little and large in action, and there’s something about this that tickles me so I thought I’d share it.
Can’t wait to get to Poole and see Goliath for real. I know I’ll be overawed and a bit jealous when I do, because that wheelhouse alone is probably nearly half the size of our whole boat. I dread to think what the engine room looks (and sounds) like.
Nice one Jon, may she bring years of good service much profit unto you. It’ll undoubtedly take us a similar number of years to get Wendy to look close to how she does in that picture, but I'm looking forward to them.