Sunday, April 04, 2010

Small but Significant.



After weeks of arsing about, procrastinating, getting obsessed with other aspects of the project and so on, yesterday I pulled my finger out, went to the boat and tiled the woodburner hearths. I’ve never done any tiling whatsoever before. So I was surprised when it went well, too easy really. I’m not sure I’d like to tile an entire room with those little blue ones though, as lining them up right were a bit fiddly. The big slate yins obviously have to be polished and sealed too before I plonk the woodburner on top. Before you say ‘oy!- you haven’t done the sides’, be aware that I have a plan for them…
I’m dead pleased with how they look, and at the time of photographing I knew that Becky would love the pictures. I now cannot wait to see the hearths grouted and ready to rock, I’ve got grout and everything. Incidentally, that orangey timber you can see behind the blue tiles is (we think) some sort of mahogany. It has made it into the photo simply because I was spreading it out to see if I had enough of it, as I’ve had it for an absolute age and I badly need to find somewhere useful for it to live. It turns out that the amount I have’ll fit that little raised area of floor like, perfectly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

Well done, I love the colour of those blue tiles, where did you get them please?

10:14 am  
Blogger IsmilebecauseIhavenoideawhatsgoingon said...

Ah ha! Even those blue tiles tell a story. I got them from a friends shed which I cleared all the gubbins from before replacing it's rotten roof. They got them from Damien Hirst! I shit you not. They're not works of art or anything, and are not covered in flies, or made from cows heads, just regular tiles he had left over from doing up his own house.

I realise this is not super helpful to you if you want some like them for your own vessel but it's the answer to your question nonetheless.

Cheers, S.

10:29 am  
Blogger Fran said...

Great story! I suggest you just say that they are one of Damien Hirst's pieces and leave it at that!!!! Hope you are having a good and productive weekend. Fran

12:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home