Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Absolutely nothing to do with boats, pt 1.



We’ve been on holiday! I know, I nearly fainted with surprise myself. For one reason or another (mostly boat), B and I haven’t taken a holiday at all, let alone together for over five years, so yes, it was a welcome change to routine indeed. And we only went on this one because our employer insisted so forcefully that she paid for it and everything. Couldn’t pass up an offer like that now could we? ‘Oh dear, sorry boss you’ve twisted my arm, no stop, stop it really hurts’. I immediately leapt to the conclusion that we must’ve been doing something right over the last few years, although I’m blowed if I can work out what, no other employer has ever indulged us with such a grand gesture…
So we flew to Marrakech, and stayed for just under a week, where we chased donkeys and men on mopeds, ran away from snake charmers and maniac henna tattooists, and B discovered she was quite good at overrunning food stalls, strong arming the chef into letting her cook and then bellowing at all the bemused tourists to ‘Come try my stuff!!’ Oh dear, seems I still can’t take her anywhere- but this sort of unruly behaviour only gains my deepest admiration anyway so maybe we’re as bad as each other. I contented myself with eating a ton of grilled meats, haggling like hell for trophies destined (eventually) to grace the interior of Wendy Ann 2, and then eating some more. So we’ve found the worlds weirdest bathroom taps, a drop dead lantern with which to crown that spiral staircase of ours (I know, I know, it’s still in pieces on a pallet) and a token piece of wrought iron work which we dunno where will end up. And I never want to see barbequed lamb again. All of which was a mighty fine distraction from our future homes current dusty unfinished state. We also managed to cram in a blessedly large amount of sleep in a four poster bed at the excellent riad townhouse where we stayed.
It was a nice holiday, a fun city destination with no boats and an experience we both found surprisingly relaxing, the luxury hammam steam bath massage thing probably helped- we both felt a bit vague and fuzzily laid back for about four hours after that particular treat.
Almost seemed a shame we’d only booked a week there really, as predictably enough, we both felt refreshingly back to our old selves by the time we boarded the flight home. Thanks Claire!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super cool project, I am rebuilding a small tugboat myself, I will try to update the pictures one of these days. Keep up the good spirit.

http://tornow.dk/flender/

Henry

1:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to say that the next step would be to insall some kind of woodfired heating, you can burn all your rubbish and save a bit og money.

Henry

1:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home