Friday, December 16, 2011

Having a fight with Meself.


I’m almost done with the big plywood aspect of the interior lining throughout the boat. Well, clearly that’s a rubbish statement, as it doesn’t include a myriad of future projects like boxing around tanks, bathroom subfloors and built in furniture. But since none of those things actually exist yet I can conveniently ignore them and say, aha yes- for now I’m almost done with plywood. This is good because I’m bored, bored, bored of working with the stuff. Each time a piece is templated, cut/planed/sanded and finally into position I experience a deflating sort of miniature anticlimax. This can be attributed to the idea that although getting every one to fit tight is an achievement one part of my brain won’t be fooled, merely confirming to itself that the panel just looks the way it always thought it would. After all, the desired result is large featureless areas of blank lining, and that’s what you got. Another part of my brain demands to know why all the usual boaty excitement buttons are getting really hard to push, and threatens to sabotage the whole day by wandering off and getting distracted by something completely frivolous. A third part has had to learn to ignore the constant bickering and quietly do-the-dance-to-attract-pencils ready for the next piece instead.


7 Comments:

Blogger tim² said...

Hi you two,
so many things got out of focus during the last weeks, obviously not the work at your tug.
I like the propeller very much and hope, it will find its place somewhere.

Right now I wanted to wish you all the best for 2012 and, even if I don't leave comments (most of the time i'm simply to shy to leave written evidence of my poor english), I'm excitedly following your blog and hope that one day I start my own project of transforming a boat into a pleasent home.
For now I'm leaving with a song I found a few minutes ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2EY_-BUPy0

Cheers, Timm

11:38 pm  
Blogger rob said...

Looking good ! "nothing good comes easy!" Have a great Healthy and Happy New
Year!

3:34 pm  
Blogger Sweetpea in France said...

Don't beat yourself up........ these grand scale projects take time! Maybe time you haven't got but that's life. Heyho! It's just a life transforming challenge ye have set yourselves! So be kind to yourself... do what you can ... and enjoy what you are doing.....have a wonderful 2012 x
Love MadreinFrance x

10:14 am  
Blogger Wendy said...

She is looking wonderful; you've done loads since we dropped in early last year. Love the couch, lots of fun. Keep up the good work. Did you get the photos?
Wendy and Graham from Hastings

5:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Impressive,

I've spent the last two days reading your entire blog after stumbling upon it from another blog. To say I am impressed is an understatement. You guys have shown the commitment and dedication to this project and to life most can only ever dream about. How do you do it?

This is a wonderful story and was captivating to watch and read it unfold, for instance , I felt surprisingly relieved when the pictures showed up with the inside of your hull painted, good stuff.

It was also amazing to see your skills improve as the blog went on to the point that you do this stuff for a living! Good show man.
You have got some nice craftsmanship going into that boat.

I do not normally respond to things like this but had to let you know that you have a new fan in the US. I'll be checking back to see how it continues!

Congrats and goodluck from a new fan in Pennsylvania, Mike

12:58 am  
Blogger 15.year.chin.scratch said...

I've been following your blog for a couple of years at least, and like most people I've been really impressed at your dedication (to both the boat and the blog). Following your lead, I've decided to start a blog myself, http://tuganetka.blogspot.com
and need at least a couple of people to follow it to give me the necessary kick up the arse to keep working on the boat, so check it out when you've got a minute and feel free to link to it (I mention your blog in mine- if you prefer me not to, let me know and I'll remove the reference.) Cheers.

10:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is the insulation coping with the cold? Looks as though you've had some low temperatures recently...

Chris, Sydney, Au

9:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home