Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Twins.



They exist. As a pair. And they are equally as unfinished as one another, because I was careful to work in mirrors. What I did to one I did to the other.
And it’s only taken me three days. And then some.
I’m lucky, having just been granted some arbitrary annual leave, so have just spent a good proportion of it making a real, sensible stab at making some actual built in furniture that’ll A) accommodate nooks and crannies B) be removable at a pinch in whole or part C) hopefully utilise top notch craftsmanship or D) as near as I can get dammit. Maybe I can squeeze in E) be useful too.
Being skint is the mother of all bastards but contrariwise, at least it has the capacity to make you patient, even occasionally inventive. So these are made from a real wood jumble. Battening, 24mm mahog ply, inch birch ply, teak, 12mm WBP, pitch pine, 5mm AA birch, and a couple bits of celotex, they’ve got the lot. And I still have to do the nosings on the shelf bits, god only knows what they’ll turn out to be made of.
Why?
Because:
The pile of ‘useful’ wood stock on board (and, to my shame, off) keeps growing. There’s all sorts in there and it’s in danger of becoming the woodpile that grew tentacles and tried to take over the world.
Lacking a handy pocket Godzilla with which to deal with this I’ve decided that the only way out (apart from having a very expensive bonfire) is to actually make some of the things that have hitherto lurked in the dark recesses of my little brain, mostly for some time.
Built in the hardest corner of the boats interior I could think of working in, which required constant crawling in and out of the compartment to measure, mark, measure again ‘cos I forgot which side the half mil goes on, template, cut, assemble, disassemble, block plane, headache; here they are, my half finished bedside cabinets. Tweedledum and Tweedledee. All I need now is a Walrus. Oh Maaaarrk…

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/magazine/sussex_walks/west_sussex_walks/8992085.Arundel_to_Littlehampton/

Greeting WA2
'Am almost positive this is a picture of YOU! (some of us have waaay too much free time to surf the net)

Found your most enjoyable blog....uhm..oh right, through Henrick the Belgium Barge Blog 'cuz I was following the Mistress' sewing blog....as I said WAY too much free time!

All the Best,
Michele
hailing from 'cross the pond in Silver Spring, Maryland USA

8:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/magazine/sussex_walks/west_sussex_walks/8992085.Arundel_to_Littlehampton/

sorry 'bout that, Seb, may I call you Seb?

this is the complete address from this complete idiot

8:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/magazine/sussex_walks/west_sussex_walks/8992085.Arundel_to_Littlehampton/

ARGH! sorry for the 3rd comment (glad 'twasn't me)

seems the address won't all fit follow from:
sussex_walks/west_sussex_walks/
8992085.Arundel_to_Littlehampton/

8:41 pm  
Blogger IsmilebecauseIhavenoideawhatsgoingon said...

Hi Michele,
Yep, that's she, we've got the original print copy kicking about somewhere, and I take the use of wendy's image as a compliment. I have to really, because she seems to be popular with photographers, can't think why...
Thanks for your kind comment, and obvious determination!
Seb.

7:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home