Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Complexity.

Or- Getting the job done right, on time.


I’m starting to become incredibly nervous that we won’t be ready in time for the launch. We’re working so hard that we experience moments of zombie like tiredness, you know, blundering about bumping into stuff whilst unable to put one thought in front of the other. But we’ve regular day jobs to look after as well so almost every waking moment is occupied more than ever by work or by boat. God, how has my life become so much fun? In this headlong dash I’m finding it all too easy to concentrate on the details which are in front of me but lose sight of the bigger picture, i.e. what’s going to happen on the 27th of THIS BLOODY MONTH! Also, when I’m not actually at the boat I’m completely preoccupied with what I’ll do next time I get the opportunity so I’m dazed, exhausted and bumping into things at work too. I should be used to it by now, but I swear it’s getting worse. Every night sleep folds her arms around me and I fall in to them gratefully, only to be tormented with nightlong dream visions of the whole thing going horribly wrong in some new and ridiculous way. So I wake up almost as knackered as I was the night before but with my tired state now seasoned with a liberal sprinkling of grumpy and bad attitude that all the good coffee in the world will not shift.
Technically we’re pretty sure the boat will float, and now most of the holes in the superstructure are sealed up. But it’s October already. The cabin construction, whilst it’s progressing really well is become the latest new eater of time- we’ve worked out that in total it’s so far consumed 34 days. That’s at least 408 hours of work. I should’ve built a sodding shed to live in. Although the window frames are now starting to take shape we reckon there’s still another 6 days before all the pieces are made and fitted and it’s all ready to be glued together*. I may well end up undertaking these days alone. So far I’ve been incredibly privileged that an old friend has been on hand to teach me the required skills and to share the workload, but it’s looking likely I’ll have to take these new skills and push them as hard as I can because the dear Mark is off on holiday to America soon. Therefore I’m feeling lightly terrified about getting it all done in time. It almost goes without saying that I’d like my man to be present and part of the dismantling, gluing and reassembling process, but time is running through my fingers like dry sand, and launch dates now absolutely cannot be moved for all sorts of reasons…



I’m not even going to mention all the myriad other tasks that need our attention because if I do, my head will explode.


* It’s going to be a massive assembly job, and will take a whole day. As a bit of gentle homework I’m doing some research in an attempt to find a SLOW setting waterproof wood glue. So far I’ve identified two possibilities. Either the Expensive West System epoxy using their slow hardener, or a cheaper powdered product which used to be known as Cascamite ( I think it’s a urea formaldehyde based resin which is water activated) but now seems available under various different names. My chosen adhesive must remain workable for as long as possible, ideally six hours or more in order to allow jigging of the structure, and it must set properly weatherproof. Talk about gonzo boatbuilding, this is it. If you have any ideas or suggestions for a suitable solution at all then I’d really really like to hear them.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure you'll get it all done in time!

Keep up the excellent work you've done so far.

Onne

10:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all looking so brilliant but of course it is disconcerting when you have a deadline! You are working in a team and you have the support of Bee and others. Bon courage et bonne determination. Have faith in your heart but look after your inner self! You've done it thus far! You can do it! The reward will be soon! Love you. Madre x

4:17 am  
Blogger flatplane8 said...

Keep up the good work, you guys are inspiring us! Focus on the launch preparation, the cabin can always be done afloat :)

Simon (Misterton)

8:17 am  
Blogger IsmilebecauseIdo said...

The cabin is the launch preparation. Due to the size of the timbers involved and the space needed to prepare them it would be impossible to complete the framework afloat. We may have to clad it once afloat but we will prep the wood whilst we still have a dry workspace to use.

9:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home