Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lets Go to Wick.


Seeing as my all female crew (!) have blown my cover I may as well get on and write this.
I’m currently enduring a little forced exile at work. All boats eat money, a fact that many people who don’t own a boat (yet- but want to) don’t seem to grasp. They are the ones who say ‘oh, it must be so bohemian living on a boat’; well, unless I’ve got my history all wrong and bohemians actually do wear filthy overalls all the time, work 27 hours a day, never go to the pub, suffer near frostbite during the winter months and headaches the rest of the time, and also hemorrhage money on a regular basis before imbibing anything naughty- or even getting on board- then no, it’s not exactly a bohemian existence thus far. Wendy Ann is no exception, and because Becky and me have some fairly large plans for the very near future we’ve been quick to realize that some bugger will have to pay for them. Well, this time that bugger is me. Therefore right now I’m absolutely nowhere near my vessel, and have been for nearly three weeks, and I miss her terribly. What’s worse, I’ll still be nowhere near Wendy Ann 2 in four weeks time. There is definitely, as far as I’m concerned, a big downside to this particular fact. But on the other hand, some bugger has to earn the money. So yes, I’m in another country, doing the same thing I always do, in fact last week I was doing this:

You can take the boy out of the shipyard, but you can't tek the shipyard out of the boy. So there.

The only thing that galls me ever so slightly is that a few weeks ago, just as the date for departure loomed my work on board Wendy Ann was really going well and I was loving it. I mean, I was seriously fucking shattered, but boy was it looking good, and it was with a very heavy heart that I dragged myself away for the last time before this period of necessary abstinence.
I’m very happy that Becky is minding the vessel closely while I’m away, and I’m even happier that she’s roped a gang of her attractive friends into helping out.I just wish I was there to enjoy the privilege. Our boat is so much a part of my life that she’s ingrained herself under my skin indelibly, so it’s obvious that I find it so hard to leave her (this probably has something to do with all my blood, sweat, tears and money sloshing around in the bilges) but while I graft away in a foreign country for another boat shaped dream I’m reassured that my missus is deriving some pleasure from our creation that is, well, distinctly her own.
Meanwhile, whilst away from the boat my own experience of life has turned into something about as comprehensible as this:


Mind you, sometimes I'm wonder if it's always been this way. Hopefully things will soon be back to normal, whatever that is, and I’ll be back before you know it for the big plan. Then I promise I’ll make all the girls swab the decks. Naked.

12 Comments:

Blogger Bill K said...

You know that saying Seb,

In your case a hole in the water surrounded by steel into which you throw money.

How true oh how true. LOL

Bill Kelleher

3:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing I have been working on the tan then if I have to get my kit off!

10:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pervert!!

8:51 am  
Blogger IsmilebecauseIhavenoideawhatsgoingon said...

Yap. Das me.

5:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swabbing the decks naked in British Summer Time... gooseflesh, hypothermia, and nipples you can cut glass on!! x x x

3:47 pm  
Blogger IsmilebecauseIhavenoideawhatsgoingon said...

Exactly!

x

8:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers honey!!
Its alright for Becky - she gets to play in the sun (when it comes out from behind all the rain clouds) and get all brown and even more beautiful. If I took my clothes off in public right now, my glowing white flesh would probably blind most of the south of England.
Hows France?

Jenn x

11:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now seb my lad,you know what they say about wimmen an vicars on board ship? they be arbingers of the worst of luck! an as for naked!! perish the thought,I aint seen mrs cautious in the buff for as long as i can remember,now you take care you will whistle up a storm with all these unatural goings on,you stay in france and let the harpies and sirens dance around with the naked vicars!!Now Ive come over a bit queer so i will pull myself up a bollard and tell myself a sea shanty!!!remember caution at all times you sea puppy you!!!

12:07 pm  
Blogger IsmilebecauseIhavenoideawhatsgoingon said...

Captain Cautious. You are a sage old dog indeed, and know just how to put a whelp such as I in his place.
Any chance of sharing the sea shanty when I get back?!?
Regards, S
No vessels round these parts, I'm a bit lost as to what to do for entertainment....

7:09 pm  
Blogger anosh said...

شركة تنظيف كنب بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بالرياض
شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض

5:15 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

WWW0601
guess factory
suicoke sandals
bulgari jewelry
canada goose jackets
bcbg dresses
jordan shoes
lakers jerseys
bulls jerseys
tory burch outlet
cheap snapbacks

4:17 am  
Blogger zzyytt said...

canada goose
adidas shoes for men
valentino
goyard outlet
adidas ultra boost 3.0
michael kors
fila shoes
mlb jerseys
kate spade handbags
fenty puma

7:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home